Message From the Director
Coker University is an amazing and beautiful place, made up of truly special and talented students and scholars. Campus is a small, inviting and strong knit community, but we face the same challenges as other schools across the nation. The safety, security and welfare of everyone who lives, works and visits Coker, YOUR welfare, is my primary concern.
The dedicated staff of the Office of Campus Safety and Security are here to assist you and our community in every way, but campus safety is a responsibility we all share. By working with the members of Campus Safety, keeping your eyes open, taking basic precautions and using good, sound judgement, we can all be assured of the safest possible experience.
I look forward to working with the entire Coker Community in making campus a safe and enjoyable place to live, work, study, play and visit. Your cooperation is vital in our success and I encourage you to make yourself familiar with the Campus Safety webpages and the information contained within.
Director of Campus Safety and Security
It is the mission of Coker University Campus Safety to enhance the quality of life at Coker University by providing a safe and secure environment that is conducive to learning, and is consistent with the educational goals of this diverse institution, while building community partnerships that foster trust, mutual respect, and cooperation. Coker University Campus Safety strives to accomplish its mission while adhering to its core values of Professionalism, Integrity, Communication, Service, Respect, Loyalty and Duty.
To fulfill this mission, Campus Safety supervision is dedicated to providing a quality work environment and the development of its officers through continued training and supportive leadership. Achievement of this mission requires continuous training of campus safety officers, frequent re-evaluation of performance, patrol enforcement techniques and strategies and the collaboration, cooperation and support of the entire campus community.
About Coker University Campus Safety
Coker University Campus Safety is responsible for the safety and security of the campus community. Campus Safety; provided by Synergy Security Services, LLC, strives to provide a safe and secure environment while providing excellent customer service. They conduct patrols throughout the entire campus to include outline Coker properties and is available to assist the Coker community on a 24-hour basis. They are available to assist residents in reporting thefts, accidents, and fires. Additional services include providing emergency medical assistance, and late night escorts. Their office is located at 307 East Carolina Avenue. Coker officers do not have arrest powers; however, they work very close with the Hartsville Police Department.
Security can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 843-383-8140 (on-campus extension: 8140).
For medical emergencies, please call 911.
Officers are trained in first-aid, CPR, and the use of the defibrillator.
Campus Safety Reports
add remove 2022
add remove 2021
add remove 2020
add remove 2019
add remove The Coker Pledge
It will take every member of the Coker community to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The university is asking our faculty, staff, and students to sign and submit the pledge below, and to honor it during the 2020-2021 academic year.
The Coker Pledge
As a member of the Coker University community, I pledge to do my part to protect the health and safety of our campus and greater Hartsville community. I understand that my actions play a critical role in reducing the spread of COVID-19. I pledge to be responsible, considerate, and accountable for my actions on campus and within the community. I will conduct myself with Coker’s six pillars in mind––integrity, respect, scholarship, sustainability, service, and contribution.
I pledge to:
- Monitor my health closely for potential symptoms and to avoid social situations, including classes, if I feel sick; and if I am experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19, which can include shortness of breath, coughing and/or fever of 100.4°F or greater, fatigue, muscle/body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea, if I am a student, I will contact the COVID hotline at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-383-8018, and if I am a Coker employee, I will contact Ella Marshall at email@example.com
- Follow public health guidelines and abide by Coker University guidance and COVID-19 signage on reducing the spread of COVID-19
- Maintain good personal hygiene and wash my hands with soap and water frequently
- Maintain social distancing in all of my daily activities
- Wear a mask or cloth face covering covering your mouth and nose in university buildings, when outside on campus, and in situations when social distancing is not possible
- Honor occupancy limits in spaces, leave furniture in classrooms and dining areas as is to ensure proper social distancing, and be careful to protect myself and others when in situations where social distancing might not be possible
- Follow the university’s instructions for isolating myself if I test positive, am experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
By taking the Coker Pledge to do my part to protect the health and safety of Coker University and the greater Hartsville community, I accept responsibility for myself and my actions and will help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
add remove Emergency Instructions
Coker University Campus Safety: 843-383-8140
Available for 24/7 non-emergency escorts
Hartsville Police Department: 843-383-3011; Emergency: 911
Hartsville Fire Department: 843-383-3000; Emergency: 911
Darlington County EMS: 843-398-4441; Emergency: 911
Palmetto Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222; Emergency: 911
add remove Campus Security Authorities
A Campus Security Authority (CSA) is an individual, who by virtue of their university responsibilities and under the Clery Act, is designated to receive and report criminal incidents to the Office of Campus Safety and Security so that they may be included and published in the university’s Annual Security Report. They have completed training on appropriately handling reporting crimes, victim relations and support, and related school policies.
Who They Are:
Campus Safety and Security officers are CSAs, but other Coker University employees are also designated as CSAs.
The Clery Act defines a CSA as any of the following categories:
- A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution, e.g. any member of Coker’s Office of Campus Safety and Security.
- Any individuals who have responsibility for campus security but are not members of a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property, such as a security guard).
- Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offense; or
- An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings.
However, Coker University to better serve our student community has designated all university employees as CSAs, with a few exceptions:
- Contractual dining/food service employees
- Contractual facilities employees
- Campus health physicians or nurses whose only responsibility is to provide care to students
- Exempt and confidential resources including;
- Professional, licensed mental health counselors
- Pastoral counselor recognized by a religious organization to provide confidential counseling