Some of the links on this page are PDFs. Opening a PDF requires free Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.

Where can I get more information about Orientation?

For a complete New Student Orientation schedule of activities, click here.

If my student gets sick or injured, where should she/he go?

The College’s Health Services office is located on the first floor of Coker Residence Hall, providing easy access to all residential students. Health Services is staffed Monday through Friday by a licensed nurse employed by Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center.

What about Health/Accident Insurance?

Coker College requires that all domestic residential students demonstrate proof of insurance coverage under a personal or family policy.  Every domestic residential student will be billed a Medical Access Fee of $200/academic year to their Coker student account.  All domestic residential students are required to complete the Coker College Residential Insurance Information Waiver Form from our Business Office.  Students able to provide proof of insurance coverage may waive this fee by completing this form.  The charge will remain for students unable to provide proof of coverage.  If you wish to waive the Medical Access Fee, you must do so before the day prior to new students moving in. .  No cancellations will be accepted after this date.

All International students are covered under the Pioneer Enriched Medical Plan offered through ACE American Insurance Company.  This policy cannot be waived.  International students age 25 and under are billed $440 (10 month coverage) to their Coker College account.  Students 26-29 years of age are charged $810 (10 month coverage) to their Coker College account.  International students who are in the country longer than the 10 month academic year are responsible for their own insurance during this time. International students cannot waive this insurance and are group enrolled by August 10, 2013.  Benefits of this plan are available in the Student Services Office, 2nd Floor, Student Center.

What is the Medical Access Fee?

The Medical Access Fee will allow for domestic residential students to have access to our Health Services Office. This fee allows access to a local medical provider contracted by Coker College for limited basic acute care/sickness after a referral by the contracted nurse during the academic year.  Students are responsible for all co-pays, deductibles and any and all charges that are incurred.  All students are covered under a basic accident policy through Markel Insurance at no additional cost. Intercollegiate athletes have a separate policy through the Coker Athletic Department.  Students who become sick or injured (outside of intercollegiate athletics) after Health Services operating hours can go to the Emergency Room at Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center – about five minutes from campus on Highway 151 (Bobo Newsome Highway).

How can I verify that my student is a full-time student at Coker College for my insurance company?

Just ask your student to go to the Office of Academic Records for the required form or download it here. It can be mailed from the Campus Post Office.

What immunizations and examinations are required to live in the residence halls?

New students to Coker College who wish to live in the residence halls must have up-to-date immunizations and a recent physical examination to be filed in Health Services. Immunizations must include: two MMRs (measles, mumps and rubella vaccinations), Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) within ten years, and the Meningitis vaccine/decline (see page 5 & 6 of the Medical Profile).

Will parents be notified if a student needs medical attention?

Parents of dependent students are normally notified of a significant accident or illness. Basic communication is expected to occur between the student and the parent.

If a student cannot attend classes because of illness, accident or emergency, who should be notified?

Students who cannot attend class because of illness should contact their professors, either via e-mail or phone, and go to Health Services. Students who would be absent from campus for several days (i.e. to go home when sick) should also notify the Dean of Students who will then notify the appropriate professors.

How safe is the campus?

Coker experiences very little crime. Click here for the most recent campus crime report (you will need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader to access this file). Coker contracts with a national security firm to provide security officers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Security officers are also in direct contact with the Hartsville Police Department, as needed. Local police have access to our campus at all times. Additionally, all residence halls have doors that are controlled by card access. A resident assistant makes rounds each evening, many times accompanied by a security officer. The campus is well-lit at night to increase visibility and safety.

Do most students have a vehicle?

Many Coker students have a vehicle, but it is not a necessity. Transportation on and around campus is up to the student’s discretion (cars are not allowed inside the campus). To go off campus, many students have bicycles or cars. Public transportation is very limited. Catching a ride with a friend is very common.

What are the computer requirements?

Students are not required to have a personal computer; however, it is recommended that students have a laptop computer. The College provides students with access to over 100 computers in multiple computer labs around campus and the Charles W. and Joan S. Coker Library-Information Technology Center. The minimal requirement for personal computers is any computer capable of running a current Internet browser, a current version of Microsoft Office, and that is able to connect to wireless Internet service.

Can students connect their computers to the campus network from their rooms?

Yes, as long as the computer is capable of running a current Internet browser, current anti-virus software, and is able to connect to a wireless Internet service. While all residence halls have wireless Internet, it is still recommended that students have a network cable so they can use the wired network during routine service upgrades.

Can students set their own wireless routers in their rooms?

No. Wireless internet is provided by the College to all residence halls and buildings. Personal wireless routers such as Linksys and Belkin routers are designed for home use and not allowed because they can cause issues with other equipment on campus.

Is every student assigned an advisor? How often should they meet?

All incoming students are assigned an initial advisor to aid them in their first year of study. Once a student completes his/her first year or declares a new major, he/she is assigned a faculty advisor from the appropriate academic department. Students should meet with their advisor at least twice during a semester, but more often if there are problems. Undecided/undeclared majors are also assigned advisors.

When does a student declare their major?

A student can declare a major at any time.

When and where does a student register for classes?

A student already enrolled pre-registers for the next semester about halfway through the current semester. The process begins with the student meeting with their advisor and discussing the schedule of offered courses. Registration actually occurs at the beginning of each term. This is also when students receive financial clearance before confirming their course schedule. Students and advisors will plan courses for each term in WebAdvisor. The student is responsible for the registration process in WebAdvisor. New incoming students may pre-register with an advisor prior to the start of the semester by participating in one of the new student events that Coker hosts during the year or by contacting one of our designated advisors for incoming students.

What is Drop/Add?

After registration, a student has approximately one week to make changes to their schedule — drop or add classes. After the drop/add period, no new courses may be added; however, if a student must withdraw from a course, they may still do so through the withdrawal period. Please refer to the refund schedule for any information on financial implications of withdrawing from a course after drop/add.

What is the general layout of the residence hall?

Freshmen-only Memorial Residence Hall has approximately 30 occupants per floor in double rooms and separate men’s and women’s community baths. Richard G. & Tuck A. Coker Residence Hall (RTC), a suite-style residence hall, also has a freshmen residence area. As students progress at Coker, they gain priority in housing and are eligible for suite-style or apartment-style housing. Living spaces are furnished with beds, desks, chairs, dressers, and closets or wardrobes. Other room features include blinds, data connections, and overhead lights. Our residence halls are Wi-Fi compatible. For more detailed residence hall information and dimensions, click here

What can/can’t my student bring to college?

For details information on how students can personalize their rooms, click here

How are the residence halls and rooms cleaned?

A professional custodial staff cleans all of the residence hall public areas including hallways, lounges and community bathrooms on a daily basis (Monday-Friday). However, they do not pick up after students. All students are responsible for their own rooms and bathrooms where applicable.

What laundry facilities are available on campus?

Each residence hall has its own laundry facility. Washers and dryers are available at no charge to the student.”

How is residence hall activity organized and conducted?

Residence hall activity is organized by Resident Assistants (RA) and Commissioners. RAs live on every floor and are responsible for upholding the College’s policies and rules. They serve as counselors, mentors, advisors and friends. Two Commissioners also live on each freshmen floor and assist the RA. Commissioners serve as mentors to the freshmen.  The Residence Hall Associate (RHA) also provides programming on a monthly basis to the residential students.  To learn more about RHA, click here

What resources are available to assist students?

Students in need of help can speak with the RA or mentor on their hall. They can also call the Director or Assistant Director of Residence Life. If problems related to a physical or mental issue, Coker provides personal counselors, a nurse or a direct referral to a local physician’s office. Other resources include the Writing Center (Writer’s Studio), Career Services, Math Lab, Information Technology and the student’s academic advisor.

How can a parent know how well the student is doing academically?

Ask your son/daughter. Mid-term grade reports are viewable in the student’s WebAdvisor account around the 8th week of the semester. Final grades are also placed in WebAdvisor.

Where can the student go for help if things become overwhelming?

The Office of Student Services is available for problem solving and support. Staff can help direct the student to the appropriate office as it relates to personal counseling, career development, academic difficulties, job needs, roommate conflict, etc.

What career planning is available for students?

At Coker, career planning starts freshman year. The Office of Career & Professional Development offers assistance with building job-seeking skills, career exploration and planning, career counseling, interview preparation, resume writing and graduate school exploration. Additionally, an annual job recruitment fair is held in combination with all South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities in Columbia, S.C., which gives juniors and seniors the opportunity to network and interview with regional as well as national companies.

When will my student’s books be available?

When students register for classes, you can visit the bookstore’s website to see what books have been selected for each class by navigating to the order textbooks area. At least one month prior to the start of a semester/term, the books will be available for purchase in the bookstore. At that time, you can also reserve your books by placing your order on the bookstore’s website and choose to pick them up at the store or have your books shipped to you for a nominal shipping fee.

Where do students attend church?

Many denominations are within walking distance of campus. Several churches send shuttles to pick interested students up and return them after services. Others are active through campus organizations and plan special functions for interested students. More information about local worship choices is provided at Orientation.

Which banks are available for Coker students?

Carolina Bank, First Citizens Bank, Heritage Community Bank, Mutual Savings and Loan, SPC Cooperative Credit Union and Wells Fargo are all located within walking distance of campus. An ATM machine is located on the 1st floor of the Student Center.

Where can my son or daughter pick up mail?

Every student may be assigned a mailbox in the Campus Post Office and his/her box number should be used for addressing all incoming mail and packages. The Campus Post Office also stamps mail through their postage machine, sends and receives packages through UPS, FEDEX, Express Mail and Priority Mail. The Campus Post Office is open Monday – Friday from 8:30 A.M to 5:00 P.M. All mail should be addressed as follows:

Jane/Jon Doe
Coker College
300 E. College Ave.
MSN #000
Hartsville, SC 29550