Applying for Financial Aid


Submit a completed admissions application to the Admissions Office. Applicants must be accepted by Coker University as degree-seeking students before aid will be awarded. Transient students must coordinate aid through their home institution. Special students are not eligible for financial assistance.

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the U.S. Department of Education as soon after January 1 as possible. The FAFSA website is

Students who filed a FAFSA prior to November 1 may be eligible to complete a Renewal Application. Eligible students will be sent a Personal Information Number (PIN), which can be used to complete the Renewal Application on the Web. All applications required by Coker University are available from the Financial Aid Office upon request.

High school guidance offices can provide information on local awards from employers, churches, PTOs and local civic organizations. Limited aid is also available for summer school. All financial information will be held in strict confidence.


Once a student’s need has been established by using the FAFSA, the Director of Financial Aid will notify the student of his or her award package for the academic year. An award package is usually a combination of scholarships, grants, campus employment and loans. Final award letters are sent as soon as the financial aid and admissions files are complete. Financial aid is awarded to continuing students based upon the completion of previous coursework at Coker University. The Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Guidelines will be utilized to ensure students are making academic progress. It is important that students and parents submit required documentation requested from the school. When Coker receives the student’s FAFSA information a letter is sent out to the student requesting documents or requesting certain items be completed so financial aid counselors can complete the packaging of federal, institutional, and/or state aid for the student.


Student loans will be certified after the withdrawal date for each semester, or term. This change has come about due to inconsistencies in course registrations, and students withdrawing from classes prior to the final withdrawal period. In such cases creating an overpayment to the student in which it is hard to regain those over-paid funds. This policy will help to ensure students are actively enrolled.


If a student is eligible for student loans, the financial aid office has the right to deny the distribution of Stafford, Perkins, or Private Source Loans. We can still consider a default to be evidence of a student’s unwillingness to repay loans. For a Perkins loan, if the repayment was involuntary, you should consider a default as such evidence to deny. Financial aid personnel have the right to deny or revoke student loans for the reasons listed below.