STEM Scholars in Biology Program
COKER UNIVERSITY’ STEM SCHOLARS IN BIOLOGY (SSB) PROGRAM IS A UNIQUE SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY.
Now accepting applications fort the Class of 2024 (starting Coker in the Fall of 2020)
High-achieving students who are interested in majoring in biology, and in need of financial assistance to attend college, are strongly encouraged to apply!
Coker University serves as the lead institution on a collaborative research project, funded by the National Science Foundation’s Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics program (NSF S-STEM). As a result of this work, the STEM Scholars in Biology (SSB) program at Coker University anticipates the selection of an annual cohort of academically talented students. SSB scholars will receive as much as $10,000 a year in scholarship aid for their four years, along with other benefits such as a free laptop computer, mentoring by scientists, individualized advising, and early involvement in research.
*Applications to Coker University and FAFSA are also required.
- Scholarship award up to $10,000 per year for each of your four years in college
- A high-quality laptop computer for use throughout your degree program
- A living-learning community in dedicated residence hall space for scholars in the program
- STEM-focused “CATALYST” program designed to enhance community building and facilitate student success
- First-Year Seminar taught by Biology faculty
- Faculty/peer mentors program
- Various STEM opportunities, including faculty-student research/project-based learning as well as a seminar series by scientists
- Graduate school/career preparation through workshops and cohort activities
The goal of the SSB program is to increase the number of talented biology majors who go on to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in a broad range of scientific endeavors, either by entering the workforce or a life science-related graduate program upon graduation from Coker University.
Learn more about Coker University’s biology department here.
For more information about Coker’s SSB program or the NSF S-STEM grant, please contact Dr. Joe Flaherty at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-383-8079.
To be eligible for the SSB program, students must meet the following requirements:
Complete and submit your SSB application, which will include a brief statement (250-300 words) explaining your past experiences/accomplishments in the sciences and your personal interest in becoming a scientist. Click here to fill out the application
Complete your general Coker University application for admission. This includes your official high school transcript (GPA of 3.0 or higher), counselor/teacher recommendations, and your standardized test scores (ACT or SAT).
Submit your financial aid application—Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)––as soon as possible.