11:20 a.m., Tuesday, October 10, 2018 – Hurricane Michael is currently projected to make landfall in Florida today. We anticipate that it will reach South Carolina as a tropical storm with strong wind and rain. We will be keeping a careful eye on the storm’s progression, and will be in close contact with Darlington County Emergency Management over the next few days.
As always, the safety of our students, faculty, and staff is the college’s primary concern. We have emergency protocols in place, should the need for further action arise. Should circumstances change, updates will be provided via the the COBRAlerts system. Residential students should check bit.ly/cokerstormprep regularly for updates from Residence Life.
In the meantime, please keep in mind:
- If you will be leaving campus for fall break, be sure to take appropriate precautions in case the storm worsens in your absence: Pick valuables up off the floor, unplug electronics, turn down your AC, make sure lights are off, and lock your door as you leave.
- In the event that power goes out on campus, the Linville Dining Hall will continue to serve meals at designated fall break hours. The dining hall is also being set up as a gathering space for students remaining on campus, and will be equipped with generator power in the event of an outage.
- Please make sure you’re signed up for COBRAlerts so that you can receive emergency notifications. Instructions are available at coker.edu/alerts.
- In case of heavy rain and strong winds, stay indoors and away from large windows.
- Avoid walking/parking under large trees.
- If you see a downed power line, avoid the area and report it to Campus Safety (843-383-8140).
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Campus Safety at 843-383-8140 or 843-616-2762.
COBRALERT – EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM (BLACKBOARD CONNECT)
Follow the links below to login/sign up for COBRAlerts.
CURRENT COLLEGE STATUS
Coker College is currently operating on a normal schedule.