Student Involvement Opportunities
With a variety of registered student organizations, Coker has something for everyone. If you’re interested in starting your own Registered Student Organization, email email@example.com to find out how!
ARTS AND CULTURE
Art Club: The Art Club promotes artistic expression throughout the campus community through creative events, workshops, and offerings.
- Chinese Culture Club (CCC): CCC promotes the understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture in ways that are both entertaining and informative. Past events have included language practice nights, Dumpling Workshops, and Chinese New Year celebrations.
Coker University Culture Club (CCCC): CCCC provides opportunities for international and American students to share unique experiences and expose each other to different cultures, languages and ethnicities present on campus through cultural programming and activities.
- Campus Activities Board (CAB): CAB, the campus programming board, is responsible for campus events and entertainment. CAB plans and produces activities for the entire campus, and plans campus traditional events like Fall Formal, HomeCOWming, and Crew Races.
- Commissioners: Since 1924, Coker’s Commissioners have welcomed freshman with great excitement. Each Commissioner is directly responsible for a group of freshmen students called a “family,” helps with the personal and academic concerns of freshmen students and assists the family in adjusting to college life.
- Diversity Education Engagement Peers (DEEP): Under the Center for Diversity, Interfaith, and Inclusion Education, DEEP facilitates conversations among the student body to promote equity and inclusion. They educate their fellow students and the campus community by enhancing their understanding of diversity, cultural awareness and exploration of social justice.
- Residence Hall Association: The Residence Hall Association facilitates of communication regarding residence hall issues between residential students and the College administration. RHA’s main objective is to serve the residential, campus and Hartsville communities in a multitude of ways.
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee: Student Athlete Advisory Committee: SAAC’s mission is to enhance the student-athlete/ student-body experience by developing a welcoming atmosphere to all students, faculty/staff and community members at each event. Each member is appointed by their coach to be a liaison for their team and protecting the student-athlete welfare by being a voice to their administrators, conference and division.
- Student Government Association: The Student Government Association is the umbrella organization that governs all Registered Student Organizations and directs a flow of information from the student population via three separate councils: the Class Council, RSO President’s Council and the Evening School and Commuter Council.
- Delta Eta Pi: Delta Eta Pi is a national dance honor society designed to honor excellence within the dance program and to promote dance on the Coker campus and in the Hartsville community.
- Kappa Delta Pi: Kappa Delta Pi is an education honor society that promotes excellence in education and recognizes outstanding contributions to the field.
- Lambda Pi Eta: Lambda Pi Eta, the official communication studies honor society of the National Communication Association, recognizes, fosters and rewards outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies; strives to stimulate interest in the field of communication; promotes and encourages professional development among communication majors; provides opportunities to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication; and encourages members to explore options for graduate education in communication studies.
- Omicron Delta Kappa: Coker University’s Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa was chartered in 2003. This national leadership honor society recognizes those who have exhibited a high standard of leadership in one of the five major phases of campus life as described by the national ODK office.
- Phi Sigma Iota: Phi Sigma Iota recognizes outstanding accomplishment in the study or teaching of any of the academic fields related to foreign language, literature, or culture.
- Psi Chi: Psi Chi is an international psychology honor society that encourages, stimulates and maintains excellence in scholarship of members and promotes the science of psychology.
- Sigma Tau Delta: Sigma Tau Delta is an English honor society whose central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature.
- World Scholars: The World Scholars Program for top academic students engages scholars in intellectually stimulating activities to cultivate a keen awareness of world cultures.
- All Time Gaming: All Time Gaming is a group that comes together to play, discuss, and educate others about video gaming and gaming topics.
- Astronomy Club: Astronomy Club seeks to understand the awe-inspiring universe around us, all while having a little fun along the way. Past Astronomy Club events have included Lunar viewings, camping trips, and astronaut boot camp.
- Fashion and Sewing Club: The Fashion and Sewing Club encourages creativity in fashion and sewing, and to that end, plans events to inspire different levels of art and skill. Crafting, sewing, socializing, and service projects are offered by the club.
- Student Veteran Association: is a forum to support active and veteran military students.
- Tabletop Gaming: Tabletop Gaming creates events and socials for the Coker community in which they can enjoy a carefree and semi-competitive space to enjoy tabletop games. A wide variety of games are welcome and provided by the organization.
- Theatrical Expressions: Theatrical Expressions is an organization in which students can explore aspects of the art of theatre.
- Emerging Leaders: The Emerging Leaders program is a 15 week program for underclassmen students to learn about the foundations of leadership, personal leadership strengths and styles, and opportunities to become a leader on or off campus.
- Coker Concert Band: An instrumental ensemble made up of Coker students and community members, with weekly rehearsals and one major concert per semester.
- Coker Singers: Coker Singers is a non-auditioned mixed choir with rehearsals, performances, and tours throughout the year.
- Dancing Dolls: Dancing Dolls teaches and performs the art of majorette dance to the Coker community. Prior experience is encouraged, but not necessary – just be excited to learn!
- Gospel Choir: Gospel Choir promotes, encourages, and educates the Coker community on gospel music and the roots of gospel culture.
- Venomous Hip Hop Dance Club: Venomous learns and performs hip-hop dance forms & routines for the Coker community.
- Because Christ Matters (BCM): BCM is a Christian organization that provides various opportunities for learning and fellowship. Members need not be of Christian faith, and all are invited to attend BCM events.
- FANGS: FANGS (Freely and Nobly Giving Service) aims to inspire leadership for the public good through service. FANGS members work together to serve Coker and the Hartsville community through a wide variety of service projects.
- Pause for Paws: This organization works to provide opportunities for all members of the Coker community to become active supporters of the Darlington County Humane Society. The group also serves to promote the mental well-being of students through interactions with animals.