With more than 30 registered student organizations, Coker has something for everyone. If you’re interested in starting your own Registered Student Organization, email firstname.lastname@example.org find out how!
- Computer Science and Mathematics Club: The purpose of the Computer Science and Mathematics Club is to increase interest in computer science and mathematics. The club also encourages computer science and mathematics majors to extend their studies beyond the typical classroom setting.
- Science Club: The Science Club was formed to familiarize both science and non-science majors with the science disciplines and to help them make informed post-graduate career choices by scheduling talks, educational tours and outdoor activities, such as camping, rafting, etc.
- Social Work Student Association: The Social Work Student Association is a professional organization comprised of social work students designed to promote the social work profession and opportunities within the field. Beyond helping social work majors better understand the profession, this organization also collaborates with agencies in the Hartsville Area for community service projects.
- World Scholars: The World Scholars Program for top academic students engages scholars in intellectually stimulating activities to cultivate a keen awareness of world cultures.
ARTS AND CULTURE
- Art Club: The Art Club exists to promote awareness of contemporary artistic expression. The Art Club plans various trips and events for the enjoyment and education of both new and experienced art enthusiasts.
- Common Ground: Common Ground’s mission is to foster and promote tolerance, understanding and togetherness in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
- Coker College Culture Club: The International Student Organization’s goal is to provide opportunities for international and American students to share unique experiences and expose each other to different cultures, languages and ethnicities present on campus.
- Pan African Sisterhood Association: The Pan African Sisterhood Association provides a network of support and promotes unity of minority women at Coker College. PASA embraces the mission of the College by ensuring its members become graduates who have the ability to think analytically and creatively and to write and speak effectively.
- Class Councils: The Class Councils serve as a liaison between the Student Government and students. Each class is represented by a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary. Class Council members assist in the planning of Homecoming, COW Days and Crew Races. Elections are held at the end of the spring semester.
- Coker College Union: The Coker College Union, the campus programming board, is responsible for campus events and entertainment. CCU plans and produces activities for the entire campus, such as Welcome Week, Welcome Back Week, Bandfest and The Happening. Any student who enjoys event planning and entertainment is welcome to join CCU.
- Commissioners: Since 1924, Coker’s Commissioners have welcomed freshman with great excitement. Each Commissioner is directly responsible for a group of freshmen students called a “family,” helps with the personal and academic concerns of freshmen students and assists the family in adjusting to college life.
- Residence Hall Association: The Residence Hall Association facilitates of communication regarding residence hall issues between residential students and the College administration. RHA’s main objective is to serve the residential, campus and Hartsville communities in a multitude of ways.
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee: The Student Athlete Advisory Committee’s mission is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity for all student-athletes; protecting student-athlete welfare; and fostering a positive student-athlete image while maintaining the tenants of the Division II philosophy.
- Student Government Association: The Student Government Association is the umbrella organization that governs all Registered Student Organizations and directs a flow of information from the student population via three separate councils: the Class Council, RSO President’s Council and the Evening School and Commuter Council.
- Chi Alpha Sigma: Chi Alpha Sigma is a student-athlete honor society that recognizes high academic achievers and sport letter winners at the collegiate level.
- Kappa Delta Pi: Kappa Delta Pi, also known as Alpha Gamma Psi, is an education honor society that promotes excellence in education and recognizes outstanding contributions to the field.
- Lambda Pi Eta: Lambda Pi Eta, the official communication studies honor society of the National Communication Association, recognizes, fosters and rewards outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies; strives to stimulate interest in the field of communication; promotes and encourages professional development among communication majors; provides opportunities to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication; and encourages members to explore options for graduate education in communication studies.
- Nu Delta Alpha: Nu Delta Alpha is a national dance honor society designed to honor excellence within the dance program and to promote dance on the Coker campus and in the Hartsville community.
- Omicron Delta Kappa: Coker College’s Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa was chartered in2003. This national leadership honor society recognizes those who have exhibited a high standard of leadership in one of the five major phases of campus life as described by the national ODK office.
- Phi Alpha: Also known as Rho Theta, Phi Alpha is a national social work honor society that promotes a closer bond among social work students and encourages its members to enter into a more intimate fellowship with others dedicated to the promotion of humanitarian goals and ideals.
- Phi Beta Lambda: Phi Beta Lambda, a division of Future Business Leaders of America, provides opportunities for post-secondary students to develop business-related career competencies. PBL is an integral part of Coker’s instructional program and promotes a sense of civic and personal responsibility.
- Phi Sigma Iota: Phi Sigma Iota recognizes outstanding accomplishment in the study or teaching of any of the academic fields related to foreign language, literature, or culture.
- Psi Chi: Psi Chi is an international psychology honor society that encourages, stimulates and maintains excellence in scholarship of members and promotes the science of psychology.
- Sigma Tau Delta: Sigma Tau Delta is an English honor society whose central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also serves to provide cultural stimulation on college campuses, to furnish community interest within English departments, to impose upon members high citizenship responsibilities and to encourage creative and critical writing.
- National Society of Leadership and Success: The National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) exists to assist students in creating the lives they desire, to help students discover what they truly want to do and to give them the support and tools necessary to achieve their goals.
- Chamber Singers: The Coker Chamber Singers, formed in 2005, is an auditioned choir that studies and performs choral chamber works of all musical periods.
- Cobra Cast: Cobra Cast provides students with opportunities to express themselves through the performing arts, using voice and body language. Cobra Cast encourages students to become relaxed and enjoy performing in front of people, whether through public speaking or acting on stage, and enhances students’ understanding of the performing arts and its influences on the world.
- Coker Dance Elite: This organization exists to increase the visibility of dance on campus and within the community of Hartsville. It represents the College in a positive and spirit-oriented fashion. The Dance Elites provide various forms of entertainment throughout the academic year.
- Coker Singers: Founded in 1908, the Coker Singers is the premiere choral ensemble of the College. The group has performed throughout the Carolinas as well as in Atlanta, New Orleans and Birmingham. Other engagements include performances at the Lincoln Memorial and the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., and at Carnegie Hall and St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York.
- Divinity: Divinity promotes, encourages and demonstrates an alternative outlet for praise and adoration of Jesus Christ through dance and mime. Divinity ministers in the form of praise dancing to the Coker and Hartsville communities.
- Baptist Collegiate Ministry: Baptist Collegiate Ministry is a Christian organization that worships similarly to a Sunday morning worship service. The group often has a meal at their meeting along with musical worship, band performances and speakers. All denominations are welcome to attend.
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes: Fellowship of Christian Athletes is an organization that provides students with opportunities to play games, eat food and worship. FCA tries to host as many events as possible and reaches out to all of the athletic teams on campus as well as non-athletes.
- Greater Grace: Greater Grace’s main goal is to assist in sponsoring, constructing and hosting Sunday afternoon services, which are open to all Coker students and include off-campus ministers. Greater Grace’s mission is to unify God’s heritage for one purpose – praise.
- Pause for Paws: This organization works to provide opportunities for all members of the Coker community to become active supporters of the Darlington County Humane Society. The group also serves to promote the mental well-being of students through interactions with animals.