The Bell Tower has been a campus landmark since 1914. It houses the original school house bell of Welsh Neck High School, the coeducational academy that preceded Coker University from 1894 to 1908.
Generations of Coker students have rung the bell for Coker. In years past, the tolling bell woke college students up for classes and told them when to go to bed. Today, the bell is rung at commencement and other special occasions.