Health Services

The Health Services Office’s purpose is to enable residential students to perform optimally by assessing and removing any health barriers to learning. Jamie Byrd, LPN, is available to assess illness or injuries and provide basic treatment and/or referrals to a physician if necessary.

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.; From 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m., students can get physician referrals from Student Services. After hours, students are encouraged to contact their RA or call 911 in an emergency.

Location: 1st floor of Coker Residence Hall, next to elevator

Contact: 843.383.8141

Residential Student Information

  • Each residential student must have a Coker College Medical Profile completed and on file with the College Nurse prior to moving into the residence halls.  Failure to file the form may result in denial of housing, fines or cancellation of registration.  

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use Coker Health Services?

Health Services is available to all residential students

Do I have to have an appointment to see the nurse?

No appointment is needed to see the nurse but one can be made to ensure no waiting.

Do I have to pay to see the nurse?

The nurse is available to all residential students at no cost.

What if I need to see a doctor and I'm a long way from home?

Health Services has several physicians that a student can be referred to if needed.

Who works in Health Services?

Health Services is staffed by Jamie Byrd, She has 13 years of medical experience including ICU, ER, Endoscopy, ENT & Allergy as well as 18 years of EMS experience.

What can Health Services do for me?

Health Services can treat minor injuries as well as emergencies until 911 arrives. The office is equipped with first aid equipment and some OTC medications available at the students request. Once evaluated by the nurse, the nurse may refer the student out for more appropriate care.

Domestic Residential Students (1st year, transfers and returning)

Acute care/sickness: Coker College requires that all residential students demonstrate proof of insurance coverage under a personal or family policy. Every residential student will be billed a Medical Access Fee of $200/academic year to their Coker student account. All residential students are required to complete the Coker College Residential Insurance Information/Waiver Form from our Business Office. Students able to provide proof of insurance coverage may waive this fee by completing this form. The charge will remain for students unable to provide proof of coverage. The Medical Access Fee cannot be waived after August 15, 2013. No cancellations will be accepted after this date.

The Medical Access Fee will allow student’s access to our Health Services Office. The Office is staffed by a nurse provided by a contract through Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center. This fee allows access to a local medical provider contracted by Coker College for limited basic acute care/sickness after a referral by the contracted nurse during the academic year.

Students who demonstrate coverage under a family plan are eligible for referral by the Health Services contracted nurse to a designated local medical provider for the office visit. Students may also elect to go to a physician of their choice. In either case, they will be responsible for all co-pays, deductibles, and any and all charges that are incurred.

For billing questions, contact Linda Lewis in our Business Office at 800-571-7318 or email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Accidents: All undergraduate students are covered under a basic accident policy through Markel Insurance Company during the time they are on campus or attending an off-campus event sponsored by the College for up to $5,000 in medical costs.

International Residential and Commuter Students (1st year, transfers and returning)

Coker College provides access to health and medical services for our International students through local medical providers and our on-campus Health Services. Access to these physicians is made on a referral basis from the contracted nurse in Health Services. International students have access to Student Health Services during regular posted office hours. Staffed by a contracted nurse, students may visit for minor illness, referral to a physician contracted by the College to provide medical services to our students, some over-the-counter medications, and confidential and wellness related consultations. The contracted nurse is also available to help students navigate the sometimes complicated and very different charges for medical services and insurance payments.

All International students are covered under the Pioneer Enriched Medical Plan offered through ACE American Insurance Company. This policy cannot be waived. International students age 25 and under are billed $440 (10 month coverage) to their Coker College account. Students 26-29 years of age are charged $810 (10 month coverage) to their Coker College account. International students who are in the country longer than the 10 month academic year are responsible for their own insurance during this time.

International students cannot waive this insurance and are group enrolled by August 10, 2013. Benefits of this plan are available in the Student Services Office, 2nd Floor, Student Center.

Coker College Residential Insurance Information/Waiver Form

All Athletes click here for additional required athletic forms.



Jason Umfress
Dean of Students

Michelle Coyle
Campus Life Assistant

Jamie Byrd
Health Services

Brandon Fain
Director of Intramurals and Wellness

Shakeria Hunter
College Counselor

Michael Williamson
Director of Campus Safety


Whitney Watts
Director of Residence Life

Tymon M. Graham
Assistant Director of Residence Life and FYE

Janie Campbell
Residence Life Assistant


Darlene Small
Assistant Dean/Director, Center for Engaged Learning

Michele South
Administrative Assistant for the Center for Engaged Learning


Blackboard Log In

Click here to log in to Blackboard


Academic Calendar (Day)

Academic Calendar (Evening-ALPHA)

Academic Calendar (Graduate)


Cultural Events Calendar

Campus Life Calendar

Contact Information

Office of Student Services
Email: studentservices@coker.edu
Phone: 843.383.8035

Residence Life
Email: reslife@coker.edu
Phone: 843.383.8214

Office of Academic Records
Email: registrar@coker.edu
Phone: 843.383.8022

Center for Engaged Learning
Email: cel@coker.edu
Phone: 843.383.8058

Coker College
300 East College Ave.
Hartsville, SC 29550