At Coker College, we believe great teachers are invaluable—and South Carolina is home to a number of men and women who change lives through their work in the classroom. To all of the outstanding teachers serving across our home state: Thank you for your investment in our children’s future. Now, Coker wants to invest in YOU.
Each year, some of the most remarkable educators in South Carolina are honored by their schools, districts, and the S.C. Department of Education with the designation of Teacher of the Year. These individuals have devoted their careers to putting young people first. At Coker, we believe that it’s time to return the favor. That’s why we created the Excellence in Teaching Scholarship Program, designed specifically for those who wish to pursue a Master of Education.
- May 1, 2019 – Applications Due for M.Ed. in Literacy Studies and M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instructional Technology, Summer 2019 Cohort Scholarships
A SCHOLARSHIP FOR ALL SC TEACHERS OF THE YEAR
Because all great teachers are worthy of our investment, we are offering a scholarship for any Teacher of the Year (past or present) who wants to further his or her education. This scholarship is designed to reduce the overall cost of a master’s degree for some of South Carolina’s most dedicated educators.
All applicants who apply with the portfolio items listed below and begin a program with Coker College are eligible to receive full funding for one term of graduate coursework (applies to the final term of your program). This is a cost savings of over $1,500.
FULL-RIDE SCHOLARSHIP FOR TWO DESERVING TEACHERS
Two outstanding teachers will receive a full scholarship for their Master of Education at Coker College. Scholarship portfolios will be reviewed by the Wiggin’s School of Education’s Graduate Committee, and one teacher will be selected for each program cohort to receive the full scholarship. This is a cost savings of over $15,000.
To apply for these scholarships, the following portfolio items will be required:
- Completed application for either the Master of Education in Literacy Studies or the Master of Education in Curriculum & Instructional Technology at Coker College
- Your Innovation & Leadership Statement (limit answer to two double-spaced pages): How will this degree help you in your profession?
- Your philosophy of teaching (limit answer to two double-spaced pages): Describe your beliefs about teaching and include your ideas of what makes you an outstanding teacher. What rewards to do you find in teaching?
- Education issues and trends (limit answer to two double-spaced pages): What do you consider to be the major public education issues today? Address one in depth, outlining possibles, causes, effects, and resolutions.
To streamline the process for applicants, these items were selected from the South Carolina Teacher of Year application packet. You may add to or revise your current documents. If you have questions about your scholarship application portfolio, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR OUR EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING SCHOLARSHIP?
Complete the Form for More Information
TWO SPECIALIZED DEGREES FOR K-12 TEACHERS
This online program helps teachers address priorities designated by the state while enhancing student learning. Graduates will qualify for the South Carolina Department of Education’s Literacy Teacher add-on certification and may also pursue the Literacy Coach add-on. The M.Ed. in Literacy Studies can be earned in 12 months. Course content includes:
- Foundations of Reading and Learning
- Classroom Inquiry
- Strategies for Struggling Readers and Diverse Students
- Text Selection
- Creative Pedagogy in the Literacy Classroom
- Literacy Teachers as Instructional Leaders
- And more
Term begins in June. Scholarship applications are due by May 1.
Total tuition cost: $17,358 ($526/credit hour)
This program, offered 100 percent online, is designed for teachers who want to study new learning modes and models. Students will hone skills in both curriculum development and technology, a rare opportunity to be more effective in the classroom or in administration. The degree can be earned in 15 months. Course content includes:
- Diverse Learners and Equitable Learning Environments
- Advanced Foundations of American Education
- Analysis of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Exploring and Evaluating Digital Tools for K-12
- Introduction to Innovative Digital Instruction
- Applying and Integrating Digital Technology in K-12
- And more
Term begins in June. Scholarships applications are due by April 1.
Total tuition cost: $15,780 ($526/credit hour)