Students with interest in majoring in a music concentration or auditioning for scholarship must complete an additional application by visiting getacceptd.com/coker
Often called “the universal language,” music reaches minds and hearts in ways that nothing else can.
As a Coker music major, you can learn to be fluent. Whether you choose to study piano, voice, or musical theatre, you will follow rigorous yet rewarding curriculum that challenges and develops your creative and intellectual potential.
With personal guidance from accomplished faculty members, our discussion-based round table learning philosophy challenges students to explore, defend and communicate their ideas and creative perspective. Outside of the classroom, students benefit from immediate opportunities for solo performances, theatrical roles, internships, regional and national ensemble tours, study abroad and study away opportunities.
In the fall of 2017, Coker College will celebrate its designation as an All-Steinway School, honoring a commitment to use Steinway-designed instruments in all classrooms, practice studios and performance spaces campus-wide. Less than one percent of colleges and universities in the world are designated as All-Steinway Schools, and Coker is one of only three colleges in South Carolina with this distinction.
National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Focus your music studies with a concentration in piano. You will study a thorough foundation of music theory, history and technique, with additional courses in piano pedagogy and literature, applied piano, collaborative piano. A variety of opportunities to perform helps you apply your knowledge.
Learn to make the most of the instrument you were born with. If vocal performance is your strength, a concentration in voice is the perfect area of study for you. Opportunities to perform with the Coker Singers and in your own senior recital let you put your knowledge into practice.
DOWNLOAD THE ACADEMIC CATALOG
For a more detailed explanation of requirements, including course descriptions, download the Academic Catalog.
Potential job paths for music majors range from performers to music teachers to writers to managers of theaters or concert halls. Coker music students are trained to develop analytical, creative thinking, communication and time-management skills, combined with the adaptability and self-confidence to present themselves professionally in any situation. For a Coker music major, the career opportunities are endless.
For more information on potential career paths, click here.
- Advertising Specialist
- Instrument Design/Restoration
- Public Relations Specialist
- Art Director
- Lawyer – Music Industry
- Publications Specialist
- Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Person
- Band Leader
- Recording Technician
- Music Attorney
- Sales/Marketing Representative
- Concert Promoter
- Music Critic
- Copy Writer
- Music Publisher
- Special Events Coordinator
- Copyright Specialist
- Music Software Programmer
- Studio Musician
- Music Teacher
- Talent Agent
- Disc Jockey
- Music Therapist
- Technical Writer
- Orchestra Librarian
- Tour Manager
- Film Music Director/Editor
- Writer/Music Journalist
Graduate schools and professional programs can open the door for even more opportunities in many specializations. Graduates of Coker College have gone on to pursue a graduate degree at a number of institutions, including but not limited to the list below.
- Music business (music industry)
- Music education (music pedagogy)
- Music history (musicology)
- Music performance
- Sacred music (church music)
- Music theory (music composition)
- Music therapy
- Music production (music technology)
- Public School teacher (K-12)
- Founder/Director of Music Studio
- Performing Arts Center Box Office Associate
- Director of Church Music
- Entertainment Industry Performer
Click here to apply for an audition.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MUSIC WITH A CONCENTRATION IN VOICE OR BACHELOR OF MUSIC EDUCATION WITH A CONCENTRATION IN VOICE:
- Three selections in contrasting style that demonstrate ability and that are sung from memory.
- At least one classical selection in a foreign language.
- Recorded accompaniments are not allowed.
- If you need an accompanist, please let us know immediately and provide us with the titles (and/or copies) of your selections two weeks before the audition date.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MUSIC WITH A CONCENTRATION IN PIANO OR BACHELOR OF MUSIC EDUCATION WITH A CONCENTRATION IN PIANO:
- A balanced program of three memorized works from contrasting style periods.
- The program may involve either complete works or individual movements from larger works.
- Students auditioning for a minor in music with a concentration in piano should prepare two memorized works from contrasting style periods.